Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Buttons & Bows... a quick how to...


Yes, I have posted this card before, but this post is to help answer some questions on how I do my buttons & bows on my cards, like the one above. 

Here's my step-by-step tutorial with photos, to help the visual learners.  ;)

1.       Using a button, thread a 3” piece of black waxy flax through the two holes, leaving the loop at the back as big as you can.  Set these aside for a moment while you get your bows ready.


2.       For the bows, just take a piece of ribbon and loop the ends so it looks like the beginning of tying a bow, but don’t tie it.  Take your button and put the ribbon through the large waxy flax loop.  Place the button in the center of your “bow” and tighten the waxy flax, tying it in a knot at the front.  Trim your bow ends and waxy flax ends.   (See pictures below.)









3.       To attach your buttons and bows to your cards, tear off and use a small piece of ½” ScorTape to adhere them.

Hope that helps answer any questions.

Happy creating!  :)



18 comments:

Gretel said...

Thank you! This is so very helpful...you are terrific at showing photos of your step by step explanation:)

Scrappin' Shell said...

Ok......It's official...you are a genious! Thank you for sharing this. I will be doing this more in the future!

Elin K. said...

THANK YOU so much for the tutorial. I see these bows all the time, but my attempts were a flat failure! You make it seem easy and now I want to try again. :)

Sheila H said...

That is so cool - thanks much!

Amy Gehring said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you! This is great. Now maybe I can actually make a bow look right!

Roxy said...

Oh my gosh, thank you!!!! I've been wondering how to do this, and I even looked up YouTube tutorials, but they didn't have the button and flax. I LOVE THIS!!!

Sheila Bennett said...

Great tutorial. The ribbon/button/waxy flax combo looks really nice.

Crafty Jenn said...

Now THAT is clever!! You're such a genius with finding the easier way! Thanks for the tip Vicki!

<3 Jenn

Cheryl said...

Ah ha! So easy yet genius! TFS

Julie Carriere Orleans ON Canada said...

Thanks for sharing, love all yor work.

laetitia said...

thank you for this tutorial!! I know now that my bows will be perfect!!

Laetitia (from France)

Carol@easytobeglutenfree said...

Great tip! Thanks for sharing!

Lynn said...

Love this!!! TFS!

Clare said...

Hi Vicki,

I found your post on Pinterest, and I hope you don't mind, but I have featured this article today on the fiskars blog. (www.fiskarettes.co.uk), directing readers to your blog. Thanks for such a great tutorial. Love, Clare x

scrappinlil said...

I too found you on pinterest....I really love this tutorial of how to tie the button with the ribbon...I am now a follower of your blog. If you like you can stop by mine too. Just click on http://scrappinlilscreativesideblogspot.com TFS

Adair said...

What a clever idea!!!

Mary D said...

That was so awesome, great tip. And it look beautiful and easy to do. Thanks for sharing... (*_*)

Dawn's Greeting Cards said...

I just saw this on Pinterest. This looks much easier than what I do (make a bow ribbon, use a glue dot to adhere the button to the center of the bow, then another dot behind the bow to adhere to the cardstock. I'm going to give your idea a try - thanks!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin